Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Calf Strain / Calf Heart Attack / Compartment Syndrome Thing

I went into the Fontana Run (see previous post) with a mild calf ache which had been plaguing me the month prior. During this time I would feel the need to stop running every few miles to "squeeze my calf out", which became ever more rigid with each mile.
With 600 mg of Ibuprofen and a pack full of Double Espresso Gels I did the Fontana run (bad idea) with pretty much zero issues. After the run my calf and knee area swelled and tightened. I took a few days off and went for a little neighborhood jog. Just a mile or so into the jog I could feel the tightness beginning to build. After three, my calf and knee area was swollen again. I rested yet another few days and repeated....same outcome.

I went to the sports medicine doctor at UT Student Health and she thought it was probably a strain/compartment issue and not a Baker's Cyst, which I had endured two years prior on the same knee. I then went on to tell her the back story of my calf, and how it was actually my left knee which was the cause. I restate the back story here with added flair.

So 13 years ago I made the decision to play soccer for my H.S., a sport which has rules that I really didn't, and still don't, understand. I tore my ACL playing the second to last game of the season. The surgical repair resulted in a very loose left knee. This knee has given me minimal problems over the years, but ,due to the looseness of it, I feel when I run downhill my knee does not compress correctly (like its off center). A year or two ago in addition to the clicking in my left knee I developed left knee pain. At a certain knee angle on descents my left foot strike causes shooting pains and funny bone sensations in my left knee. No problem though! I fixed this by developing this sort of hobbling hoppy skip in which my RIGHT leg catches most of the downhill work---> calf strain.

I am going to phyisical therapy now. I do all sorts of wobble board and one leg exercises. They also do ultrasound ?massage? and manually massage my calf. I have been alternating biking and swimming in lieu of running. The calf has definitely improved. I'm not going to try a run yet, but I'm hoping to make it to Savage Gulf the 17th of March. Next week I am going to see an orthopedic regarding the left knee, and just see what my options are.

1 comment:

  1. We'll have a bike date whenever you want, just say the word dude. No swimming dates though, unless you're prepared to give me mouth to mouth.

    ReplyDelete